Monday 21 May 2012

Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy at Press Conference film "Lawless"

John Hillcoat: I wanted to really understand the world at this time, in this part of the United States.

John Hillcoat: I wanted to really understand the world at this time, in this part of the United States.
Film crew
Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy and the other actors from Lawless joined John Hillcoat for the press conference for the In Competition film presented today. Nick Cave, screenwriter and friend of the director, was also with them to answer questions from journalists.

What it was in the novel by Matt Bondurant that inspired the screenplay by Nick Cave
I liked the mood of the book. I liked the story of love and excessive violence. The combination of its elements really interested me. There are feelings and a very raw violence to this novel. Violence is often boring in films. But there is a way of handling it, as John Hillcoat did, in an exciting and refreshing way.
 
John Hillcoat discusses the references to Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America
I love Leone. I drew inspiration from that film as well as from Bonnie and Clyde - mainly on a cinematic and a historical level. I wanted to understand the world at this time, in this part of the United States.

John Hillcoat, an Australian in America
I've always wanted to make films that touch the whole world. The U.S. appeals to me, I'm interested in stories that take place in the U.S. or in Australia. The U.S. is a tough environment for people making medium-budget films. I think that there will be a movement against that. TV has started to bounce back.
 
Guy Pearce on his role
I had to be up to par. There was something about this character: he seems stuck, caught in this thing, everything around him seems to disgust him, he is vain, he has a dark vision of the world. In his appearance too, he has contempt for his surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment