CIA has warned that the Islamic State terror group may carry out large-scale attacks in the US similar to the one in Istanbul. CIA Director John Brennan said in Washington that the attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk International Airport bears the hallmarks of the Islamic State’s depravity.
Brennan said while to replying to a question at the Council on Foreign Relations, a top American think-tank. that the United States, is leading the coalition to try to destroy IS inside of Syria and Iraq, so it would be surprising if the terror outfit is not trying to hit the country.
As many as 42 people were killed and hundreds wounded yesterday after suicide attackers armed with guns and bombs attacked Istanbul’s busy Ataturk Airport . Turkey government blamed the attack on Islamic State extremists but there was no immediate confirmation from the group.
European Union leaders have warned that the UK must honour the principle of free movement of people, if it wants to retain access to the single market after it leaves the bloc. European Council President Donald Tusk said, UK could not pick and choose.
The French and German leaders also made clear that the freedom of movement of EU citizens was non-negotiable. Immigration to the UK, particularly from poorer EU countries, was a key issue in the referendum campaign. Some campaigners for ‘Leave EU’ sent a clear message that the vote was about controlling immigration levels.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold a meeting with his Council of Ministers in New Delhi this evening. The meeting is expected to review the government’s decisions in the recent past. Union ministers are likely to make presentations on work done by their ministries in the last two years.
AIR correspondent reports, the meeting assumes significance amid the talks of an imminent cabinet reshuffle. The speculation has intensified over the change in the cabinet following Prime Minister’s meeting with BJP President Amit Shah last night. The possible reshuffle will coincide with an organizational changes in the BJP as Mr. Shah is yet to reconstitute his team in his second term as party chief.
India today successfully test fired a new surface-to-air missile, from a mobile launcher in the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur at around 08.15 hours. Official sources said, the medium range missile, a product of joint venture between India and Israel, was successfully test launched. The missile, which was initially proposed to be tested yesterday, was deferred in the last moment for today.
Earlier, Indian Navy had successfully test launched the long range surface-to-air missile. These missiles would be inducted in all three services after user’s trial is completed. The local administration had temporarily displaced more than 3500 people residing within 2.5 kms radius of the ITR for security reasons ahead of the test.
42 dead in Yemeni suicide bombing attack, ISIS claims responsibility
Four explosions rocked security checkpoints in the southern Yemeni city of Mukalla, killing 43 people and injuring 24 others. The blasts occurred at sunset, as soldiers broke their fast during the holy month of Ramadan. Thirty-eight soldiers died in the attacks. Women and children were among the injured, according to Mukalla Now news agency. The suicide bombers reportedly posed as distributors of Iftar, the evening meal during Ramadan. Islamic State (IS, previously ISIS/ISIL) claimed responsibility for the attack.
UN General Assembly on Tuesday elected Bolivia, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan and Sweden to serve during 2017-2018 in the UN Security Council, while the contest between Netherlands and Italy has yet to be officially resolved.
The two countries vying for one of two seats representing the Western European and others Group (WEOG) agreed to split the two-year term and balloting was “suspended until further notice” shortly after 5 p.m. EDT (2200 GMT). Sweden resoundingly won the other WEOG seat on the first ballot.
The elected five are to join on Jan. 1, 2017 the five permanent members of the 15-nation council — Britain, China, France, Russiaand the United States and replace the five non-permanent members elected in 2014 to serve during 2015-2016 — Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand, Spain and Venezuela, who are ending their two-year terms on Dec. 31.
The 193-member General Assembly mandated in 2014 that elections beginning in 2016 for non-permanent Security Council seats be held six months in advance of the term in order to give the elected countries more time to prepare for their new responsibilities. Previously balloting was held in October.
Before the meeting was suspended, Norway, as chair of WEOG, announced a meeting for 10 a.m. EDT (1500 GMT) Wednesday to discuss the proposal which would have to be approved by the group and then voted on by the General Assembly where a more than two-thirds majority of those voting is required for election.
Italy and Netherlands were tied 95-95 after a total of five rounds of secret ballots to determine which country will join the other five non-permanent council members — Egypt, Japan, Senegal, Ukraine and Uruguay, whose two-year terms will end on Dec. 31, 2017.
Bert Koenders(L), foreign minister of Netherlands, speaks during the election of non-permanent members of UN Security Council at the UN headquarters in New York. June 28, 2016. (Xinhua/Li Muzi)
“The signal of this assembly this afternoon has been quite clear and I think it was reflected in the last vote this afternoon 95 votes for Italy and 95 votes for the Kingdom of the Netherlands,” said Foreign Minister Bert Koenders of Netherlands. “That means it is a clear signal that you appreciate both our countries in representing you in the Security Council.”
“Therefore, my colleague (Italian Foreign Minister Paolo) Gentiloni and myself would like to put forward a proposal following subject to full endorsement of WEOG that we would like to split the term,” said the Dutch foreign minister.
He proposed Italy to serve the first half, next year, and the Netherlands would serve in 2018 subject to WEOG endorsement and approval of the General Assembly.
Koenders’ proposal was greeted by applause.
“I confirm on behalf of the Republic of Italy what my colleague and friend Bert Koenders just said,” Gentiloni said, expressing thanks to the assembly for “your patience and your support.”
“We wanted maybe to give also a message of unity between European countries and so we took the opportunity of this perfect parity, 95-95 vote, to decide a proposal that gives also this message,” said Gentiloni, adding that the campaign “was an extraordinary opportunity to strengthen relations with all UN countries.”
“The competitive election has many negative things but it has an extraordinarily positive thing in that it gives an opportunity to know better all the membership of the UN,” the foreign minister said.
He later told reporters outside the great hall of the assembly. “We have no doubt this agreement will be implemented.”
Asked if the European unity message was an “anti-Brexit” message, referring to last week’s UK referendum decision to exit the European Union, he said “This is not anti-Brexit, it is pro unity.”
Netherlands’ Koenders told reporters the Italy-Netherlands accord came at “a very, very complex time in the UN Security Council. We both campaigned for a strong United Nations, we need a strong UN in a time of geopolitical complex conflicts, disarmament discussions, discussion on the development goals and more than ever unity is needed in the Security Council to solve the problems of the world.”
Earlier, Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom of Sweden said after her nation’s election, “We will now do what we promised to do; we will work on prevention, peacekeeping, peacebuilding; we will work on security issues and climate and new threats to security; we will work on women’s peace and security.”
“I will instruct my staff here to work on a transparent and inclusive way to talk with countries, not only about them,” she added. “We are now ready to serve and we will do it based on the values and principles of the UN Charter.” Media agencies
“It is clear that this attack is not aimed at achieving any result but only to create propaganda material against our country using simply the blood and pain of innocent people.” – President Erdogan http://aje.io/4qre
Prime minister says there are indications that suicide attacks at Ataturk Airport were carried out by ISIL.
Naresh Kumar Sagar: Suicide Bombers attack Ataturk airport: Turkey suicide blast: three suicide bombers attacked turkey Ataturk airport.ISIL or Kurd separatist are behind the attack the authorities thirty-six victim are killed and sixty are injured.Ataturk most busy airport all flights suspended. Bombers after the gun battle with security person switched detonated their explosive vest thus massive explosion at her busiest airport.
Suicide Bombers attack Ataturk airport: Turkey suicide blast: three suicide bombers attacked turkey Ataturk airport.ISIL or Kurd separatist are behind the attack the authorities thirty six victim are killed and sixty are injured.Ataturk most busy airport all flights suspended. Bombers after gun battle with security person switched detonated their explosive vest thus massive explosion at her busiest airport.